During our visit to the beautiful islands of Hong Kong and Kowloon for the H+ Hong Kong conference in December of 2011, Adam A. Ford filmed a number of segments with me, as we took the day after the conference to explore.
In the YouTube video that is included with this post, he manages – in spite of strong winds – to tie together many of the pieces of our meandering discussion about Technology and the Future. For me, it was a very different and extremely pleasant type of interview. Casual dress further emphasizes this in the footage, sporting our Halcyon Molecular mechanical butterfly T-shirt and wind-whipped curls.
Here is the video, and below, a quick summary of topics.
- Significance of the work at Halcyon Molecular, and DNA sequencing in general.
- What I talked about at the H+ Hong Kong conference, and why.
- Meta-comments about the topics and conversations that dominated the H+ Hong Kong conference.
- The 4 routes to Life-Extension.
- The concept of “Stasis as Time-Jumping”.
- Why replacing neurons in-situ as therapy is a difficult proposition.
- Future living, space travel, and trading computational resources and information.
- Aspects of “transhumanism” that have appeal, such as open-mindedness and constructive thinking about technology.
- The Second Renaissance.
- The luxury that we have to strive for ambitious goals, and the possible need to work fast, as those ambitions depend on a potentially fragile infrastructure.